‘Build Smart’ Reveals Building Data’s Potential to Reshape our World.
CHARLOTTE, NC: Gābl Media has launched the second season of Build Smart, a podcast presented by buildingSMART International. In this 10-part series, architect hosts Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA, and Mark LePage, AIA, interview building-industry experts about how improving access to data can refine design, construction, and operations, and lead to more sustainable buildings that get done on time and on budget.
“We founded buildingSMART International in 1994 with the goal of improving how buildings work,” says MacLeamy, buildingSMART Chairman and CEO Emeritus of global architecture and engineering firm HOK. “As the industry evolved, we focused on popularizing open-sourced BIM [Building Information Modeling] data.”
The second season of Build Smart interviews experts about the benefits provided by openBIM to everyone involved in building design—architects, engineers, contractors, sustainability experts, city planners, and owners/operators. MacLeamy and LePage begin with the evolution of BIM. This digital technology let architects progress from non-sharable computerized drafting (CAD) to 3D building modeling, allowing energy consumption, noise levels, and other performance parameters to be tested virtually, optimizing design. More importantly, BIM files can be shared among everyone involved in creating and operating a building. “With BIM, everyone sees the information and changes in real time and can respond to any alterations needed before the shovel hits the ground,” MacLeamy says. “This improves build times, waste, and expensive change orders in the field.”
Build Smart Season 2 co-hosted by Mark LePage, AIA. Image courtesy of Gabl Media
Build Smart episodes will cover how the evolution of digital tools has benefitted architects, engineers, builders, product manufacturers, and landlords/building operators. Some specific topics include:
• How openBIM stimulates development of easier-to-use and more accessible design tools.
• IFC standards: the common denominator to accelerate digital communication among architects, engineers, contractors, and city planners.
• How architects and builders can work better together, minimizing risk and maximizing rewards.
• BIM, BAM, BOOM: How better buildings emerge from architects using Building Information Modeling (BIM), contractors employing Building Assembly Modeling (BAM), and landlords/property managers optimizing operations through Building Operation Optimization Modeling (BOOM).
• How non-profit organization buildingSMART International is leading the global effort to create smarter buildings and cities through increased access to sharable data.
International industry experts providing insider insights throughout Season 2 of Build Smart include: • Architect/AI expert/digital strategist Ken Herold, Founder, theStartupWithin, former HOK software developer
• Architect/software expert Ian Howell, CEO, buildingSMART International, former Newforma CEO
• Engineer/collaborative design expert Richard Kelly, Operations Director, buildingSMART International • Architect/Paris city planner Alain Maury, co-founder, buildingSMART France
• Engineering and architecture software expert Bjørn K. Stangeland, Head of Strategic Partnerships, Planning and Design Division, Nemetschek Group
• Munich University Engineering professor Rasso Steinmann, Chairman, buildingSMART Germany • IFC code expert Léon van Berlo, Technical Director, buildingSMART International
• Software developer Viktor Várkonyi, Chief Division Officer, Nemetschek Group
• Engineer/global builder Kazumi Yajima, Deputy General Manager, Kajima Corporation
For more information on Build Smart and to listen to flagship Gābl Media podcasts Archispeak, Build Your Brand, Context & Clarity, DETAILED, EntreArchitect, Practice Disrupted, She Builds, Spaces, Talking Home Renovations, Tangible Remnants, TRXL, and Unstruct, please visit GablMedia.com.
Build Smart Season 2 co-hosted by Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA. Image courtesy of Rob Martel
About Gābl Media
Gābl Media is an innovative multimedia network that empowers global leaders in the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industries to share their stories with a vibrant community dedicated to building a better world. Gābl Media harnesses the latest technologies to create and distribute audio and video content to millions of people to inform and entertain its ever-growing audience across the world. For more information.
About Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA
Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA, rose from junior designer to CEO during his 50-year career at global architecture/engineering firm HOK. A “self-taught” executive, he is best known in the industry for the MacLeamy Curve. This graphic shows the advantages of front-loading human and budgetary resources, cost-effectively identifying and correcting project errors before they become exponentially more expensive in the construction stage. A Fellow of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), MacLeamy is a recipient of the National Institute for Building Sciences President’s Award, a past chairman of the Construction Industry Roundtable, and has testified before Congress on building standards. He currently serves as Chairman of buildingSMART International and consults with his former firm as CEO Emeritus of HOK. For more information on Patrick MacLeamy and his book, Designing a World-Class Architecture Firm.
About Mark LePage, AIA
Mark R. LePage, AIA, NCARB, is a licensed architect based in Charlotte, North Carolina. He is President and CEO of Gābl Technologies and the founder of EntreArchitect, the global community and online platform for small-firm entrepreneur architects to provide information, resources, and training. Celebrating his 10th year leading EntreArchitect, Mark has contributed more than 3 million podcast downloads through 460+ published episodes, leads a private Facebook group with more than 7,800 architect members, and launched The EntreArchitect Community Annual Meeting, a business conference for small-firm entrepreneur architects. As President and CEO of Gābl Media Group, Mark leads the multimedia network that empowers global leaders in the architecture, engineering, and construction industries to create content that informs and entertains an audience dedicated to building a better world.
About buildingSMART International
buildingSMART International is a worldwide industry body driving the digital transformation of the built asset industry by the creation and adoption of open, international standards and solutions for infrastructure and buildings. An open, neutral, and international not-for-profit organization, buildingSMART is the community for visionaries working to transform the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of built assets.